Thursday, March 14, 2013

Let's Learn About Area

We've been learning all about area the past few days. Here's what we did during math today: 

Yesterday afternoon I used blue painter's tape to mark off some areas of the classroom. It was so fun listening to my students when they walked through the door this morning. "Miss Schneider! Why is there tape all over the floor?!" I actually overheard one student say to a friend, "I bet this has something to do with area." 

Then, the students went around to each shape and recorded the area in square units. 


Next, we practiced finding the area of various shapes on the SMARTboard. If you haven't checked out IXL yet, do yourself a favor and get over there right now! It's an online math practice program that is completely organized by grade level. Click here to find the area game we played today. 


Finally, students created their own shapes using color tiles. They carefully traced around their unique shapes and their partners had to find the area using color tiles.  

How do you teach your students about area?  

Heather 

5 comments:

diditeach said...

We just got a SmartBoard in the classroom, thanks for the great tip for IXL !

Heather said...

You're welcome! I can't reply to you by email, because I don't think you have that as a setting. I'm glad you like the resource. It's a fantastic website!

diditeach said...

Sorry Heather....my email is dianefilek@hotmail.com. I don't have a blog, just love to follow !! Love all your ideas.......love all the pics of San Fran too :)

Heather said...

I was wondering if you had a blog! :) Thanks for following! I hope you can find some ideas to use in your own classroom!

1stgradefireworks said...

I'm your newest follower! CA Blogger too! Stop by and say HI! wendy 1stgradefireworks@gmail.com
1stgradefireworks

Post a Comment

I like to respond via email. Please make sure you click subscribe so I can reply to your comments!