It's the end of week #2 and we've been busy in 2nd grade:
1. I blogged about Remind 101's awesome text messaging service on Sunday. You can read about it here. I did a demonstration this week and taught some of the teachers on staff how to sign up and create an account. I'm so excited we have several teachers now who are using this awesome service!
2. We're learning about our families and making family trees:
3. Students brought in artifacts from their family's past. I'm loving the fact that a Boys II Men cassette tape is considered an artifact by 2nd graders!
None of my students knew about All 4 One, but when I started to sing "I Swear" for the entire class, they informed me that the minions on Despicable Me 2 sing their own version of the song. I've not seen the movie, but I did find a Youtube video of their cover. My students are obsessed with minions right now!
Check out the old Nintendo game one student brought in:
4. We've been doing a lot of fun activities in social studies. We learned that people used to make ALL of their own food. We made our own butter on Friday afternoon and everyone loved tasting it on crackers. One student remarked, "I'm sure glad I was born when I was. Life was hard back then!"
5. My students LOVE this video every year. I usually don't play it until we study polygons, but we've been working with pattern blocks a lot this week. A few students asked me why we only had hexagons and not pentagons or octagons! I showed them this short video clip at the end of the lesson so they could learn more about polygons:
Have a great three day weekend!