I'm loving this weekly link up with Doodle Bugs!
1. We've been working really hard on inflectional endings for the past week. We started with our scavenger hunt and they have made a lot of progress. One student came up to me and said, "Look! Cutting is in this sentence. The author had to double the t before adding 'ing' because it's a short vowel word and only has one consonant!" I know they really get it when they are pointing out the phonics rules in their daily reading!
2. We're having fun with non-fiction text features in reading. This week we focused on photographs, headings, captions, charts and diagrams. What better way to learn about these text features than by reading a lot of non-fiction? They are searching for specific features in the pictures below. Call it a scavenger hunt and you can't go wrong!
3. We finished our miracles unit in religion and each student wrote his/her own acrostic poem. You can pick up a free template here. I love using acrostic poems at the end of a unit. You can read more about my love for these poems here.
4. We've been doing a lot of revising and proofreading in writing workshop. A pocket thesaurus and dictionary is what every writer needs!
5. I was The Cat in the Hat for Read Across America Day. We had a fun time celebrating the wonderful books of Dr. Suess.
Be sure to link up with Doodle Bugs and tell us about your week!